Healthy Energy Drinks?
In our fast-paced world of long work hours, energy drinks are becoming a staple for many. According to the National Institute for Health, “Next to multivitamins, energy drinks are the most popular dietary supplement consumed by American teens and young adults.”
Energy drinks can derail your weight loss. Here are a few dangerous things to look for:
- Is the energy drink full of sugar? Many energy drinks are sugar water with stimulants. According to the NIH, ” a single 16-oz. container of an energy drink may contain 54 to 62 grams of added sugar; this exceeds the maximum amount of added sugars recommended for an entire day.” These drinks will trigger the Fat Truck and your body will go into a fat storage mode.
- Is the energy high in calories? If the drink is primarily sugar-water it is likely to be high in calories.
If you are seeking to lose weight, you want to look for energy drinks which are 0 calories or 20 calories or less total.
At Achieve Weight Loss our energy drink of preference is Celsius. Here are some conclusions based on university studies on Celsius:
- Celsius has calorie-burning effect.
- Participants who consumed Celsius burned an additional 100 calories over a three hour period compared to those who took placebos
- The consumption of Celsius has been shown to produce no adverse changes to cholesterol, blood sugars, blood pressure or resting heart rate.
- Drinking Celsius prior to an activity produced greater fat loss compared to those who took a placebos
There are other reasons we like this drink:
- Celsius has 0 sugar. The original version of Celsius is sweetened with Sucralose (an artificial sweetener) while the newest option is sweetened with Stevia.
- Celsius has no aspartame, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors or colors
- There are vitamins (C, B12, B2, B6, B3 B5, and Biotin) and minerals (calcium, and chromium) in a can of celsius
- A can (serving) of Celsius has only 10 calories
Celsius can be used as a tool in your weight loss, but it is not required. However, if you feel you must have an occasional energy boost, this is our first choice as a healthy energy drink.